Uppercase and lowercase letters are fun to learn with this lemonade letter matching game! Nothing is better on a hot day than an ice cold glass of lemonade. Mmmm, hits the spot perfectly! The simple joy of lemonade is the summer is inspiration behind this fun, summery lemonade letter matching game!
This fun lemonade letter matching game was designed with preschoolers and kindergarten students in mind, but our experience has been that even our readers have fun playing it! Upper and lowercase letters can be tricky to master, but repetition is key!
This letter matching game means repetition is fun and cute- not boring! It focuses on both upper and lowercase letters in an engaging way. Yes, we want our kids to learn, but we want them to LOVE learning. A love of learning starts with a smile- and that’s why easy, DIY games like this are a lifesaver!
How To Assemble Lemonade Letter Matching Game
To prep this game, you’ll only need to do a few things:
- Start by printing the PDF- you can download it at the bottom of this page! I recommend printing on cardstock or else laminating the cards if you choose to use normal printer paper. That said, we have had plenty of printable games over the years that we print on plain paper and don’t laminate; they hold up for a few months at least!
- Cut out the cards. The printable has grid lines to know where to cut each game piece. The glasses of lemonade are the uppercase letters while the lemons are the lowercase letters. The point of the game is to match each uppercase lemonade bottle to its lowercase lemon counterpart.
How to Play Lemonade Letter Matching Game
Once all the pieces are ready, decide how many you would like to play with. If your child is just beginning to learn the ABCs, it’s not a great idea to start playing with all 26 letters (52 cards!). Start with 5-6 letter pairs (10-12 cards) and work your way up.
To make this a super special game playing experience, make some lemonade to sip on together as you play!
Game play is similar to most other matching games:
- Turn the cards that you are playing with upside down and mix them up.
- Place the cards, still upside down, in lines to form a grid.
- The first player will turn over two cards.
- If they are a match, they can pull them out of the game and make their own stack. If they don’t match, they should go back into the game upside down, in the same spot! Everyone needs to pay attention so they can remember where the certain letters.
- Bonus fun: Consider playing with the rule that when a player makes a match, they get to go again!
- Continue taking turns. When all matches are made, the game is over. If you would like to keep score, the person who has the most matches is the winner!
Not only does this game help with letter recognition skills, this lemonade letter matching game also helps strengthen short term memory, improve hand eye coordination, and gets kids excited about early literacy skills!
You might also enjoy:
- Phonics Worksheets for Beginning Sounds
- 8 Genius Activities for Teaching Letters
- Learning Letters: Mailing “Letters” Alphabet Game
🍋PIN THIS FOR LATER🍋
Download This Free Printable!
This download is part of our member’s only library! And it’s completely free to become a member! Whoo-hoo!
If you are an existing member, click here to head to the member’s only section and enter the password from your welcome email.
Otherwise, sign up below to become a member and get the library password! Once downloaded, just print and enjoy!