Learning about nature by interacting with it is a great start to natural science for kids! Toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarten students will love this easy science activity!
Rocks and Sticks: Natural Science for Kids
Kids love playing outside, that’s a basic fact. This easy science activity for kids will help you structure that time for a little bit of learning and a whole lot of fun!
Perfect for kids of all ages, but it’s an especially great way to introduce toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarten students to the wonders of science for kids!
Science for Kids Activity:
Observing nature is a wonderful way to connect to the world around you. During this natural science for kids activity we are going to be focusing on Rocks and Sticks in nature!
Before you start this activity, have a talk with your child about snakes if you haven’t already. They need to be aware when they are reaching down for grab a treasure that there may be snakes around.
If you are more comfortable with your child pointing out a treasure and you grabbing it for them, that’s ok too!
- Bring a bag if you are going to a place where you can take some treasures home with you.
- Go to your favorite outdoor area and start looking for rocks and sticks!
- Ask a few of the questions below along the way.
- Let your child explore and discover as much as is safe for them to do wherever you are.
Science for Kids Activity Talking Points:
Here are a few questions to ask your child while you walk and play!
- What color are the rocks you’ve found?
- What shape are they?
- Do they have smooth edges, or are they rough?
- Are your sticks small or large? Are they heavy?
- Is the bark rough or smooth?
You can also add leaves to this fun activity, but just make sure you know which leaves are safe for your child to handle!
Science for Kids Additional Fun:
Once you get home with all your treasures, let your child put on an exhibit for a child or adult that wasn’t there on the adventure. Encourage them to point out color, shape, size, and texture of each item.